Friday, April 30, 2010

Well...Who da' Thunk!

Last night was interesting to say the least.  Both my husband and I learned something new about Dani.  For the past couple of weeks we have known that my husband's son is graduating from college today and the whole family (my husband's side of the family) will be making the trek down to Provo.  And Dani for the most part was excited to see her brothers.  But last night when we started talking about what time we needed to get up, etc she started having a melt down saying she had to go to school...she couldn't miss school.  We both tried to calm her down, even tried sending her to her room because during that meltdown, our grandchildren were over with mom and dad, didn't want to upset the rest of the family.  So Dani makes her last proclamation that she wasn't going and that's that.  After some thinking and dicsussion with my husband we both came to the same conclusion that there was something she was avoiding, something was scaring her.  She doesn't do very well in big crowds so we thought that was the answer.  Well come to find out this morning when I woke her up at 4:30am (my eyes were barely open) she confided in me that she didn't want to be around dad's ex-wife.  Everytime we were in a setting that the ex was involved in, she somehow made what we call a "zinger" at Dani, making some kind of rude remark and with Dani's obsessiveness, she mulls that over in her mind over and over until it makes her sick and the meltdown was her way of telling us "hell no I won't go".  So dad and I didn't force the issue with her, we areed with her and let her go to school.  Besides that she has solo try outs today in choir and she didn't want to miss that.  It just strikes me funny how these kids bring a voice to their fears.  It's definately not rational but it is the best they can do  isn't it.

1 comment:

GB's Mom said...

I think it is great that Dani was able to get there. The passive aggressives of this world are really hard for our kids to deal with.