Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Shopping with FASD...Oh My!

Have you ever tried going shopping, for yourself, with your child or teen who has FASD?  I forgot what it was like, it's been awhile, only because by the time I get home from work, I am totally exhausted.  Well tonight I had a little extra energy and decided to go to a couple of places.  Laying out the plans and expectations with Danielle.  Ok, we're off to a good start, but while I am looking around she comes up to me and asks about taxes.  Ok, harmless question, no problem.  Then minutes later she starts with the compulsive thinking and saying over and over again, not in rapid succession but within minutes of each statement..."I just need to save up for five weeks and I can get this!"  And then the next store, she found something else to fixate on, and then the same statements begins again.  By the time we get home I am mentally exhausted.  Then the bomb shell...right before she goes to bed...

"Mom...can I ask you a question?"

"Sure honey, what is it?"

"Can I have a raise in my allowance?"

"Why, what's up honey?"

"I want to get those things I saw tonight"  

So I told her I had to think about it and figure out how much is a good raise.  She said she wanted $10 a week, again I told her I would have to think on it.  So...I guess I will go think about it!

No comments: