Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Age vs. Maturity...

There comes a time in every teens life when the hormones are raging and the age old question of "who am I' beats a rythum through their heads.  But one thing I've noticed about a teen with FASD is their bodies say one age while their minds/brains says another age.  For my Dani...her body says she is 15 but her mind and maturity is 10-11 years of age.  Now being a teen ...that is really hard, especially when it comes to peer pressure at school.  At the beginning of school I gave her a small amount of make up, just enough to make her feel good about herself without looking too made up.  The rules were she would leave her makeup at home. She broke that rule a lot of times by taking her makeup to school, so she lost that priviledge. So now she uses others at school, she is so hard up for nail polish and eye liner that she uses a permanent marker. Tonight she went to a church function and when she came home she walked in fast past me straight to the bathroom.  Tip number one ...she did something that mom wouldn't approve of.  I just have to scratch my head and try to figure where her thinking is...but I guess a child with a brain injury...doesn't really know.  Life's greatest mystery!

1 comment:

GB's Mom said...

I like your new picture picture, but I am glad I got to see the old one. My MK is 24 legally, but mentally, emotionally, and socially, she is around 16. I still haven't figured out how her brain works.