Thursday, November 5, 2009

FASD and Humor...We all Need It!

I went to a FASD seminar tonight that was hosted by the Utah Fetal Alcohol Coalition.  The speaker was from the SAMHSA FASD CEnter for Excellence out of Maryland.  So much information and knowledge about these kids that I came home with a different outlook on my daughter.  One of the things he said was to remember something funny about your child.  The last funny thing I remember happened just last week, on our way home from a doctors appointment.  During her appointment she was telling her doctor that she has many spurts of energy and she doesn't know what to do with it when it happens.  So on the way home she kept talking and talking and talking.  Never stopping.  I stopped her and asked her if her excessive talking was like one of those energey bursts she talks about with her doctor.  She stopped and looked at me sideways and said "No mom, it just comes naturally!".  She was so serious and proud of her proclamation that I laughed.  She started laughing with me, I don't think she understood why I was laughing but it was a precious moment.

1 comment:

Kari said...

Was it Dan Dubovsky you heard? I always love it when he comes to our state!

And I so agree on the humor thing. You gotta laugh- it is a great stress buster! ~Kari