Friday, May 22, 2009

Please Stop the Merry-Go-Round!

Just when I think I have things figured out...I don't. Just when I feel comfortable with how things are going...something comes along to topple my world. With Dani's disabilities, she has a hard time distinguishing what is reality and what is not. She has a hard time also staying in the now. One of her problems she is working on with her counselor is staying in the now. She tends to worry about either the future or the past and not focus on what is happening now. But when I got home from work, she was telling me her sister in Maryland called saying how excited she was for Dani to come out for a visit in a few weeks. I checked the phone and there was no call from her sister. I asked her about it then she said she thought she was talking to a hispanic girl who had a cold. She had somehow gotten the two confused, I don't know how, the brain is such a tricky organ that I can just imagine how things get jumbled up. But even though the evidence was right there that Raelyn did not call, she stuck to her story true and true. Then she got frustrated, irritated, aggitated and just plain mad at me. This is about the time she should be practicing her coping skills, which I am proud to say...she did! That was the right step in the right direction. Now I understand where the saying of "Choose your battles wisely" comes into play.

No comments: